Sponsored by the Aquaculture Pathology Laboratory, School of Animal and Comparative Biomedical Sciences, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85721, USA.
Lectures: The following topics will be covered
1. Short-course introduction, purpose, scope and schedule.
2. Gross anatomy and normal histology of penaeid shrimp.
3. Major shrimp diseases listed by World Animal Health Organization (OIE).
4. Introduction to Histology techniques (including protocol to ship samples).
5. Monodon-Type Baculovirus (MBV) and Baculovirus Penaei (BP).
6. Single-stranded DNA viruses: Infectious Hypodermal and Hematopoietic Necrosis virus (IHHNV), and Hepatopancreatic Parvovirus (HPV).
7. RNA Viruses: Taura Syndrome Virus (TSV), Yellow Head Virus (YHV), Infectious Myonecrosis (IMNV), Penaeus Nodavirus (PvNV), and White Tail Disease (WTD).
8. Bacterial diseases: Acute Hepatopancreatic Necrosis Disease (AHPND; caused by some Vibrio spp.), Necrotizing Hepatopancreatitis (NHP-B), and Vibriosis.
9. Fungal diseases including Microsporidian Enterocytozoon Hepatopenaei (EHP) and cotton shrimp disease.
10. Methods of disease prevention and/or treatment.
11. Review on the crustacean defense system.
12. Development of biosecurity and quarantine protocols.
Labs and Demonstrations: Topics to be covered in the labs include
1. Sample preparations for histology and PCR.
2. PCR/RT-PCR for diagnosis of WSSV, AHPND, EHP, IHHNV, TSV
3. qPCR/qRT-PCR for diagnosis of WSSV, AHPND, TSV
4. Laboratory bioassay: AHPND
5. Review of histopathology of viral and bacterial diseases.
***To apply, please fill out the form titled "2019 Shrimp Pathology Short Course" and email to:
Patty Marinez email@example.com , Jasmine Millabas firstname.lastname@example.org